Thursday, February 3, 2011

I really need to work on getting good recommendations for grad school. I'm worried that if I study abroad, I won't have enough time to develop good relations with my professors. Any advice?

First of all, sorry it took me so long to answer this question!

I definitely don't think that going abroad will hurt you in getting recommendations for grad school (especially since it will beef up your resume for that school anyway). I'd say that if you have professors that you work with on a regular basis, try to keep in touch with them while you are abroad. Maybe you can send them emails, or maybe you keep a blog and you can send them the link and tell them to keep up with you.

I'd also recommend trying to take a professor more than once, so that they really get to know you. You can do research with a professor, work closely with your advisor, or get to know a professor who goes on a trip with you, monitors your sports team, or has something in common with you.

It's really easy to make close relationships with professors, so don't worry about study abroad getting in the way!

What do you want to know about SMC?

No comments: