Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's like I never left

Hey everybody!

So we’re back on campus again for good until the semester is over and summertime comes. That means there’s a lot of fun stuff coming up, so keep checking back for the latest update on what’s happening on campus.

After I returned from my 5 hour journey and brought everything back to my room, I was walking down the hall before dinner when I got hit with an idea/feeling. As I walked down the hall like I do so many times a day, I realized that I felt as if I had never left campus.

I’m not saying I never left in a bad way, like I was back too soon. What I mean is that no matter how long I’m away from Saint Mike’s, I always feel right at home and normal again when I return, whether it be a long weekend swim meet or winter break between semesters.

As I prepare for study abroad, I’ve probably got about a handful of reasons why sometimes I don’t want to go to Italy at all. Most importantly, I don’t want to miss the things that happen here on campus. I wish I could just freeze time, go to Italy, and come back to start up with everyone else. Of course, I can’t do that, and I’m SUPER excited to get to study abroad. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that I’m so lucky to have.

I guess what I’m really trying to say in this extremely vague and nostalgic post is that SMC really has become my home and my comfort zone (aside from the pool) and that I know that no matter how long I am away in the future (a semester abroad or 10 years before my reunion) I will always feel at home here when I return. I know the admissions department at every college, especially here, plays up the community aspect of the school, and that’s a HUGE reason why I love it here too, but I think being able to feel like this is your home is one of, if not the, most important things about choosing a college. Just walking down the hallway in Founder’s Hall has opened my eyes to what Saint Mike’s has really become for me, and that’s a more than just a home away from home, but a true second home.

stay tuned.
-Christine

No comments: