Wednesday, April 22, 2009

week in review?

Hey everyone,

So for today I'll just give a run-through of the most exciting parts of my life for the last week, since being back from break. Sorry I've been missing throughout last week, but on top of classes and work here's why:

Wednesday the honors programs hosted the second annual "are you smarter than an SMC student." The activity is modeled off the popular TV show, and SMC professors are the contestants, with students volunteering to help them out. They have to answer questions in various categories that an SMC student is supposed to know, such as math, science, language, art, and SMC culture. They have the standard cheats: peek, copy, and save, as well as an ask a friend pass. So despite the high education level of our professors, none of them can ever seem to make it through this challenge (collecting prizes along the way), but this year one did. It was a funny thing to watch and it's cool to see professors outside of the classroom.

Thursday the team headed over to a dinner at coach's house for the evening. We had delicious food, said goodbye to our seniors, got some awards, and found out who are new captains are. I'm definitely excited for next year, even though I'll miss the first half. I already can't wait to reuknight with the team in Florida over winter break. The best part about the dinner is that the captains give each swimmer a paper plate award, which is just a silly award written on a paper plate. This year I got the "what's your beef?" award, because I complain a lot haha.

Friday I gave my very first tour by myself in the afternoon, it was really exciting for me obviously. Then that night LUPE FIASCO came to play for our spring concert. Reese has a pic of him up on her blog. Needless to say that was a lot of fun too.

Saturday was the second (and final) accepted students open house (so I hope if you're an accepted student reading this that you came!) I didn't get up quite as early as I did for the last open house, but I was up and ready to go to give the 9:30 tours. My friend Kaitlyn, who had also given her first solo tour Friday, and I decided to give a group tour, since the groups were very big. That was definitely a fun time too, since I LOVE talking to accepted/prospective students...and anyone really, I love to talk. After that I went to brunch and met with a prospective swimmer, who we just found out is coming to SMC next fall so I'm super excited!!!! My friend Megan also had friends visiting this past weekend, so we went downtown for a bit, came back here and napped/watched wall-e, and then had a fun night together.

Sunday was the kick off for earth week, which is this week. There was music and some speakers out on the library lawn, as well as activities including painting flowerpots (my roommate Sarah made one for me) and tye-dye. There was also free food, which we all love. I had a study abroad meeting as well, and got a ton of helpful information about that.

Monday was Erick (the boyfriend's) birthday, so we went out for dinner to the Vermont Pub and Brewery, which is always delicious. Then we came back and had a pinata (from his parents) and cake (that I baked with love obviously). That was a good time too.

I'll skip yesterday because I literally did nothing, and here we are at Wednesday. So hopefully some part of that peaked everyone's interest. I've got to get back to my studying. BUT...stay tuned for the next post, in which I will be talking about all of the delicious dessert options available in Alliot, the dining hall.

Until then.
-Christine

No comments: