Monday, March 8, 2010

Open up the Sky

Hey all!

So I'm back from an AMAZING weekend experience on LEAP. LEAP is a retreat run through the SMC campus ministry department, and its meant for all students regardless of class year, gender, or religious affiliation. It's an amazing experience to get away for the weekend, meet new friends, share stories, and grow in your faith journey (in whatever faith that may be and at whatever starting point you're at). A lot of the weekend thrives on the secrets kept between LEAPers, so as not to spoil the fun for everyone else who has yet to go, so I won't say too much about it. What I will say is that everyone who has the opportunity to participate in this amazing expereince really should. It came at just the right time for me and has completely changed my mindset on this semester. I know now that I'll make it out alive (somehow) and that all I needed to do was readjust the way I'm looking at everything. Needless to say LEAP was just what I needed.

Here's a link to the theme song from the weekend (hence the post title; I hope it works) http://popup.lala.com/popup/504684659304571060

And here are some photos of the team and candidates taken after a gorgeous weekend here in Vermont:











So now that I'm back on campus, it's of course back to work, but today's activity was very interesting. For my Study Abroad Re-Entry Class, we were given an assignment to be a microsociologist of everyday life and perform a situation analysis. My group was assigned to a retail store, so today we took off to the University Mall to see what chaos we could cause. We were supposed to be examining things like space, objects, time, people, dress, and language. We were also told to break a social rule and make observations about it. Needless to say, we had a lot of fun re-dressing manikins, asking a lot of silly questions, and basically making fools of ourselves. We did observe a lot of interesting things as well. For example, in JC Penny, the plus size clothing was located next to the work out clothing, and the bathing suites next to the petite clothing. Very interesting way we organize things, perhaps without even relaizing.

In other great news, WE'VE GOT HOUSING. That's right. With lottery number 15 of the whole school, my group was able to secure our dream house in the 200 level townhouses for next year. We're super pumped about it. Now we're just got to make it until then. Since housing is over, typically we're now being plagued with the task of course selection for our last fall semester at SMC (gasp). But we won't get into that now, mostly because I'm in no way prepared to talk about it.

Try to check back a lot this week, because I've got a bunch of ideas for new posts (there's actually a list sitting next to me) and I want to try and do many of them before my sure-to-be-amazing spring break trip to Jamaica next week! SO come back soon, that's all for now.

Peace, love (and fuzz)
-Christine

No comments: