Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's been one week

Hey all,

So it's been a full week since I started my new job here on campus in the Admissions department. Some days (and hours) are definitely more exciting than others, but I'm really enjoying what I'm doing and am learning a lot.

Last week I gave a few tour that really picked up my spirits and made me feel like I made a difference. On one of them, the parents of a member of the incoming class of 2014 came in to get a tour of campus, which they had never seen. The father is a soldier in Iraq so I felt so honored to be able to give him a tour of the campus where his son will be. They told me that the day before, they had driven around campus on the road, and had gotten nervous that it wasn't the right place for their son. The weather was gloomy and since it's summer there's nobody on campus. However, this day was gorgeous and I was able to take them around and show them all of the great part of campus and they left feeling a lot better about SMC, so that was great!

The rest of the week was a lot of tours, book award work, and learning how to work the data entry system. Like I said, some exciting and some not, but I'm really looking forward to the rest of the summer.

This weekend was very chill. I saw some friends, went downtown on Saturday, and yesterday I went on a hike. Some friends and I hiked to the summit of Mount Abraham, which is part of the Long Trail and the 5th highest peak in Vermont. I guess I'm just preparing for my ultimate goal of hiking the highest peak, Mount Mansfield. We'll see about that, since I struggled a bit yesterday. But I do need to get back into shape.

In other news, I've finally linked my formspring account to the blog and to my twitter, so everyone can see my answers to the questions I get. So if you have a question, type it in on the box to the right and I'll get right to it!

That's all for now!
-Christine

No comments: